Often referred to as “Bhole Nath”, for being the most soft hearted and for being someone who can be easily pleased is the benefactor of immense prosperity and wealth. He is the heavenly companion of Goddess Parvati is the provider of perennial happiness. To get the divine blessing from Lord Shiva people do Puja anad Abhishek of Lord Shiva on the day of Maha Shivaratri. Shivling Abhishek is done for the Lingam which is the representation of Shiva, the destroyer of evil and creator of a fulfilling life. In various temples across the country, people hang vessel field with water or milk or other materials, over the Shiva Lingam.
Here is an elaborated method of Shiva Lingam Abhishekam offered during Shivaratri:
Doing the Abhishek during Shivaratri with different materials have their own implications and benefits. Here’s how each of the materials affects one’s life:
1. Curd: Curd Abhishek gets people good and obedient children.
2. Milk: Milk Abhishek provides long life.
3. Honey: Honey Abhishek is considered the most sacred of all the abhishekas and derives the benefit of all the worshipping all the manifestations of God. It is also believed to provide sweet voice.
4. Ghee: Ghee Abhishek provides Moksha or salvation from all the pains of life.
5. Panchagavyam: It helps in removing all the sins of a human being.
6. Panchamrutham: It helps in obtaining wealth.
7. Rice powder: It helps in freeing us from all debts.
8. Sugar Cane Juice: It eradicates any kind of enmity and provides good health.
9. Lime juice: It frees us from the fear of death.
10. Sandal Paste: Provides the grace of Goddess Lakshmi.
Using Aloe is also very significant while doing Lord Shiva Abhishek. This is because Lord Shiva wears the God of snake called Nageshwara around his neck and so he loves aloe for it attracts snakes. These beliefs and rituals are an offshoot that comes from the elucidation of Vedas which is the holy text of Hindu religion.